Divorce And Family Law Representation
Nan M. Joseph, a Virginia family law attorney, has worked with families throughout our state who have questions about divorce, child custody and other family law matters. She helps each individual client understand the law and how it pertains to their case. She has been helping individuals obtain favorable results in court for 40-plus years.
Navigating the court process on your own is not only confusing, but it can also be overwhelming. The outcome of a family law case will almost always affect your life. It is critical to have an advocate on your side who is dedicated to working for you.
Family Law Practice Areas
With more than 40 years’ experience, Nan M. Joseph knows how to provide you with competent legal counsel no matter what family law issue you are facing. Her family law practice areas include divorce, custody, visitation, child support, spousal support, modification proceedings, divisions of assets and liabilities, enforcement proceedings, juvenile court proceedings for custody, visitation and protective orders. She also frequently handles premarital and mid-marriage contracts, which are critical planning tools.
- Divorce is the most common reason for which clients seek her services and is therefore an area of family law in which she is highly skilled. Filing for a divorce is often an emotional process for both parties, as well as any children involved in the case, and must be handled by a legal professional who respects the sensitivity of the situation, yet is not afraid to advocate aggressively for you.
- Property division. If you are seeking a divorce, you will have to face the issue of dividing property. Property that is owned by both spouses and all property that is acquired during the marriage by either party may be subject to equitable distribution. Nan M. Joseph will assist you in understanding what is equitable and how to protect your rights to your fair share of property and assets.
- Child custody and child support. For unmarried couples who have children or parents who are seeking separation or divorce, the issue of child custody is of prime importance. While parents may agree regarding with whom the child should spend most of their time and live, child custody battles are not uncommon. These disagreements can be lengthy, expensive and stressful for everyone involved.
- Once child custody is determined, the issue of child support must be addressed. Because both parents are responsible for providing for their children financially and it is assumed that the custodial party is already doing this, the noncustodial party will be ordered to making recurring child support payments to the custodial parent.
- Spousal support. Nan M. Joseph has helped countless clients over the years on both sides of the issue of spousal support. The issues involved in spousal support determinations are complex. If these issues cannot be resolved by agreement, a judge will use his/her discretion in determining an amount of spousal support and the length of time such an amount will be paid. In other cases, circumstances have changed for either the person paying spousal support or for the recipient, and issues regarding modification must be negotiated or litigated.
- Prenuptial agreements. Our law office can also assist with prenuptial agreements and postnuptial or mid-marriage agreements.
What You Need To Understand About Family Law In Virginia
While family law matters can be contentious and legally complex, it is important to note that you and your spouse/partner have many options for reaching resolution about such matters. This includes mediation, negotiation, collaborative divorce/law and litigation. In fact, in some cases, you and your spouse may even avoid the methods listed above entirely, coming to an agreement about the terms of a divorce before you even hire an attorney.
Regardless of the method that you pursue to resolve your divorce, it is important to have an attorney on your side, even if you and your spouse agree completely about how property should be divided, who should have custody of any children and what a visitation/parenting plan should look like. Having an attorney review your wishes, help you file the appropriate documents with the court and be available for representation if necessary is extremely helpful. When things are contentious and you and your partner do not agree about issues in a divorce, having an attorney is essential.
When you hire Nan M. Joseph, she will provide you with legal advice and the counsel necessary to try to reach an agreement out of court and avoid litigation. If going to court is inevitable due to highly contentious issues, we will be ready to gather evidence, subpoena documents, prepare witness testimony and more to make the best case possible to the judge hearing your case.
What Sets Attorney Nan M. Joseph Apart
Nan M. Joseph has the characteristics, knowledge and skill set you are looking for when your future is unknown. For many years, she has been named as a top attorney by Super Lawyers and Best Lawyers in America. She is a certified fellow of the American Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers, and she has been a trial lawyer in Virginia since 1976.
Nan M. Joseph and her staff are passionate about their work and truly want to secure the best outcomes for their clients.
If you have questions about divorce or other family law matters and you are unsure where to turn, contact the law firm today. Nan M. Joseph will work hard on your behalf and always operate with the utmost respect for your privacy and requests. Call us directly today at 703-777-7740.
If your case isn’t settled, it goes before a judge for trial. Like any trial, witnesses will be examined and cross-examined (including both of you), evidence will be submitted, legal arguments will be made, etc.